The ORvital solution for the orchestration, automation, and traceability of processes is already operating in all the operating theatres of the hospital complex.
One of our success stories is the Vall d’Hebron Hospital. The hospital complex was one of the pioneers in using our technology and thanks to the active work between their team and ours, we were able to go a step further in traceability and localization. A joint effort in the design of the solution allowed us to create ORvital, an integrated solution for the orchestration and automation of the Surgical Block.
After the good results obtained in the General Hospital since 2017, now the operating theatres of the entire complex, in a total of 49 operating theatres, already have this technology: the Children’s Hospital and the Women’s Hospital; the Traumatology, Rehabilitation, and Burns Hospital, and even the operating theatre block of the Pere i Virgili Health Park.
A year of thirteen months
After the implementation of ORvital in 2017, we were able to obtain the first results of the system in 2018. Encouraging figures such as an increase of more than 12% in the occupation of the operating theatres; which would be equivalent to if they had remained in operation for 13 months compared to previous months.
The good results do not end there, other noteworthy figures are:
- The average start time of 19 operating theatres has been reduced by 35 minutes.
- Compared to 2017, unplanned extensions were reduced by more than 50%.
- The URPA bed occupancy rate increased from 65% in 2017 to 81% in 2019.
- Time saved for nursing: The average time of manual annotation of surgical times in SAP is 5′. The average of 35 interventions/day is 3 hours/day. With ORvital it is an automatic task.
- The use of the ORvital solution has resulted in savings of around 10,000 euros per operating theatre/year, which translates into cost savings of around 2.3 million euros in one year.
How did we achieve this?
By identifying, locating, and tracing patients through RLTS Bluetooth technology, it is possible to obtain the data and processes generated in real-time in each department. This makes it possible to keep up to date with patient flows, tasks in progress, tasks to be done, notifications and alerts to carry out processes, and the complete status of the patient throughout their time in the operating theatre.
But it is not only the professionals who are updated on the entire process in real-time; patients’ relatives also receive real-time information on what is happening with their loved ones. Either through the information panels or by means of a specific app, it is possible to know where the patient is in the process and even inform the relative if they need to be present for any communication.